ASID Florida North State of the Society 2010-2011
Dear fellow members,
It is with great honor that I thank you for allowing me to serve you as your president this year. The task of carrying out our work plan has been a large one, but with the support of the wonderful people you elected to our board, much of it was accomplished! I want to thank Marsha Faulkner for being an outstanding President Elect. Her dedication to this chapter and the profession of interior design is inspiring and very much appreciated. To the other members of our board, I say thank you truly for your service, your time and your undying energy!
I envite each of you to please read over the information below to better understand the status of our chapter. Thank you for your participation, your dues, your talent, your loyalty, and your high level of professionalism. I look forward to seeing many of you at the Chapter Awards Party on September 24th in Orlando.
Blessing to you,
Suzanna Lawler Boney, ASID Florida North President
-We currently have a total of 705 members. Following is a breakdown of the membership by category and design community:
100 Industry Partners (21 Jacksonville, 42 Orlando, 6 Pensacola, 6 Tallahassee, 8 Vero Beach, 16 Unknown)
199 Allied Members (72 Jacksonville, 82 Orlando, 19 Pensacola, 12 Tallahassee, 12 Vero Beach, 2 Unknown)
206 Professional Members (60 Jacksonville, 69 Orlando, 29 Pensacola, 16 Tallahasee, 30 Vero Beach, 2 Unknown)
200 Student Members (59 Jacksonville, 91 Orlando, 5 Pensacola, 37 Tallahassee, 7 Vero Beach, 1 Unknown)
-Last years we had 736 members with 106 being Industry Partners, 212 being Allied Members, 207 being Professional Members and 211 being Student Members.
Through emense effort of many of our members in our chapter and support from ASID National, we celebrated a victory this year in keeping our right to be counted as a professional industry in the state of Florida. There will be more required to keep this status in place as lawsuits have already been placed to deregulate our industry.
Design Community Areas
CEU offerings, socialization, networking, and education opportunities were available to our membership through the great efforts of our Design Community Coordinators.
Student Chapters and Professional Development
· We currently have 6 strong student chapters and 1 emerging student chapter. There has been a very organized and deliberate interaction between chapter members and student members including Student Chapter Fall Kick-Off Events, Real World Design Week, Graduation parties and gift bags, portfolio reviews, student participation in legistlative events and chapter events.
· We also just hosted a STEP course, which has had to be canceled in previous years due to lack of participation. Thank you to Glenda Wann and Jennifer Perez for their outstanding efforts!
- Angelina Wheeler-Chong has been a wonderful addition as our Chapter Administrator. Thanks to her, our books, inventory, chapter events, work and strategic plans, etc. are in excellent condition!
- The 2010-2011 Florida North Board held a total of 6 board meetings this year, 2 of which were conference calls.
- The new replacements for out going board members where elected this summer and assume position on the 24th of September.
- Our Communications Director, Connie Riik, has created and managed our monthly E-News Letter to keep members informed about chapter and national happenings.
- Our website is updated, including a calendar of events, member benefits, legistlation, products and services, archived newsletters, designer profiles and much more.
- Each Allied, Professional and IP member received the Membership and Resource Directory in the first quarter and over the summer the Florida Homebuyer Magazine’s ASID Membership Directory hit the newstand in Jacksonville and Orlando. The Florida Homebuyer directory was part of an effort to bring awareness of ASID to the public. Addtionally the chapter ran an ad in Florida Design Magazine in the first quarter and through an agreement with our website host, DSA, addtional ad’s have been placed in Florida Design throughout the year in exchange for Florida Design Magazine having a presence on our website.
Follow this link to the Florida North Chapter website calendar for details of events in each design community….
The Orlando ASID Design Community met on September 8, 2011 at Scan Design in Orlando. There were 24 attendees, which included a mix of Professional, Allied and Student ASID members, Industry Partners, as well as non-member guests. Cathy Rodgers of Canine Companions for Independence was on hand to discuss the up coming Gala Fundraiser for the organization and the design competition. She brought with her trainer Robyn and dog-in-training Reardon. Mark Nadzam, introduced us to the showroom and the guest speakers. Nancy Hansbrough, of BDI, discussed trends in electronics and home theaters and finding furniture to meet the needs of the equipment. Jesper Knudsen, President of Scan, spoke about business and marketing in the current economy. Davis Odom, of Restonic Mattresses, discussed the differences in mattresses and how to sell to a client. A BIG Thank You goes out to the Scan Design Team for such an incredible evening of wonderful speakers, food/wine, and networking and fabulous gift bags. We truly appreciate Scan Design’s continued support of ASID!!!
Cathy Rodgers of Canine Companions for Independence discussing Dining by Design Competition.
Nancy Hansbrough, of BDI, discussing electronic trends.
Jesper Knudsen, President of Scan Design, presenting business in today’s economy.
Davis Odem, of Restronic Mattresses, discussing how to sell to a client.